Tuesday, August 14, 2012

All's NOT Fair in Love and War

As a general rule I don't criticize books, movies, television programs and other such things before I've seen, heard or read them.  But I need to make an exception when it comes to the new NBC reality show called Stars Earn Stripes. In case you've missed it, the format involves training non-military folks like Dean Cain, Laila Ali and Picabo Street in basic military skills and then engaging them in a contest utilizing those same skills.  To give it an air of respectability General Wesley Clark hosts the program, and real members of the military train with the cast.

The show has been criticized by a group of Nobel Peace Prize winners in a beautifully crafted letter that states "Preparing for war is neither amusing nor entertaining."  The writers of the letter, including Desmond Tutu, express their concern that the show glorifies war and violence.  NBC, in a statement released in defense of the program, stated that the show isn't "a glorification of war, but a glorification of service."

Not having seen it, I don't know if it glorifies war or not.  But it's very existence does trivialize war.  It's very existence trivializes military service.  War is deadly.  Military service involves tremendous commitment and risk.  Unlike this program, warfare is not a game.  Losers can't come back for a finale show at the end.

(I have the same basic problem with other reality shows as well.  The Bachelor, for instance,  takes the enormously important rituals of courtship and love and turns them into a contest.  Yes, The Dating Game in earlier times did much the same thing--but nobody pretended it was reality!) 

They say all's fair in love and war--but this kind of trivialization is anything but fair.  It does a grave injustice to all those who've ever served in the military, all those who've ever lost their lives or limbs in the midst of bombings and battle, all those whose reality has truly been changed by war.
  

1 comment:

  1. I watched the show. At first I thought this is going to be scaled back so that the civilians have a chance to keep up with the military and service members. Well, I was wrong. They put all contestants and military to the test. This is not war. Yes, they used live rounds, and were instructed on using guns and explosives. The reality that I saw in the end was new-found respect the civilians had towards our service members. They stated how they respected them before the show, but now they have a glimpse as to what they go through. They respect and honor them even more now having gone through this process. I think it is hard for most civilians to understand what it is like to be in the military. How hard the training is, how the psychological and sometimes physical ramifications follow our soldiers throughout their lifetimes. I had wanted to serve in the military but was told by my father how it was during his time in basic training and further in his career. It made me re-consider. I almost enlisted in the past 5 years. Yes, me. I missed it because I was too old now! These civilians who participated in the show are playing for charities that directly impact our military and service members. These are just my views from watching it once. I will watch it again and see if my opinion changes. Thanks for your post, John.

    ReplyDelete