Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Concealed Coupons

Like most everybody I know, I love a bargain.  I love getting a real deal!  That's why I'm signed up for not one but two of the e-mail coupon services that provide a daily e-mail with the chance to purchase a really good coupon.  Usually it amounts to 50%--sometimes in the form of a two-for-one offer. 

I've gotten several good meals this way from local restaurants wanting to lure me in.  I've saved money on coffee at Starbucks.  And the best deal of all was the coupon that provided $200 off a mattress just when we were looking for a new one for our guest room!  We got a $400 mattress for half-price!  You have to be careful, and only buy what you really need--but that's always true with coupons!

I must say though that I was a bit surprised, and somewhat upset, by the e-mail that arrived yesterday offering a deal on a concealed weapons permit class.  For only $29 I could purchase a $64 two-hour class, that according to the e-mail, would "qualify [me] to apply for a state CWP/CCW* permit."  I would be trained in an air-conditioned facility, the e-mail said, and would even have the application forms provided for me.  I would also need a passport photo (not included) and I would have to be fingerprinted at "a local law enforcement agency."  (Groupon, 10-2-12)

Maybe I just don't get it--but it seems to me there ought to be a whole lot more to it than that.  I don't really understand the need to carry a concealed weapon in the first place--I can't see that it really makes for a greater degree of safety in society.  But if we are going to have such permits available, shouldn't it involve more than a $29 class and a two-hour training session?  Apparently others disagree--the last time I checked, 340 people had ordered the coupon.  I'm sorry, that just doesn't make me feel safer.

*Concealed Weapon Permit/Carrying a Concealed Weapon

No comments:

Post a Comment