Thursday, August 1, 2013

Wheels for Wheels--Day 2

Marathon, Florida

We are half way down the Keys tonight.  I rode a total of 75 miles.  My grandson Zak was with me for about twelve on some very safe bike paths.  I started in Florida City, crossed the Everglades, then passed from Key to Key, beginning with Key Largo.  I even passed the bar where they made that terrific old movie by the same name!

Crossing the Everglades was a real chore--it was about twenty miles of sawgrass and stunted palms.  I was riding into the wind, and had to work harder than usual.  I was disappointed by all the litter.  I saw more empty water, soda and beer bottles than I could count.  I saw lots of shreds of blown out tires.  There were car parts, beer boxes, hardware, and empty paper cups.  The Glades are one of our great national treasures, and essential to our health and well being here in Florida.  We really need to take better care of them!

All along the road yesterday, and then again today, I saw roadside signs that I have never noticed before.  They were very low to the ground, and while presumably designed to be seen from a car, much more visible to folks like me on bicycles.  They were all white, round, and every one said "Drive Safely."  Then in smaller letters, "In memory of . . . "  Oh my, the list of names is long!  One per sign.  I saw Blake and Jason and Pauline and Martha and Anthony and many more.  All victims of auto accidents.  If each sign stops one driver from being reckless, it will indeed serve as a fine memorial.

Zak wanted to be sure that I told you all that he saw a gator and some iguanas.  He's a real wildlife buff (a fine trait for a young boy!)  Linda and I both enjoy him.  And she's not only been taking care of grandparent duties, she's also been a great support for the ride!

The best part of the the trip today was crossing from Long Key to Duck Key, where a beautiful bike path runs parallel to the US 1 bridge at that point.  Truly awesome--and Zak was with me!

Three things to share about some old friends.  One, who suffers from a leg injury, reminded she can't ride a bike, not even a stationary one.  How easily we forget the simple blessings of life!  This trip, with it's goal of raising funds for wheelchairs (she, fortunately, doesn't need one) is a constant reminder of what I often take for granted.

Another friend, an older friend, wished he could have joined me on the ride.  We've shared several long bike trips together over the years.  You would have loved this one, Jerry!

And finally, the friend I've known the longest.  Always a bit of a wise guy, Charlie sent a check to support the ride, with a note:  "I thought I'd keep the sixty theme going," he wrote.  The check was for $60.60!  I called him last night to wish him Happy Birthday (he too just turned sixty) and he noted I could change the name of the blog to "Pastoral Pedalings."  Love ya Charlie!

Thank you all for your prayers!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment