Monday, October 28, 2013

Angela Merkel, Privacy and Us

Of course Angela Merkel is upset.  I'd be upset too!  In fact, I am.  I'm upset to think that the government is listening in on her conversations, or, perhaps, yours and mine.  Is this any way to treat citizens and friends?  Don't misunderstand, I don't think Edward Snowden Angela did us any favors by leaking the information that he did.  But really--Angela Merkel?

None of this should take us by surprise, I suppose.  Any expectation of privacy has really disappeared--at least in terms of technology.  I remember when I was a boy, back in the day before we called land lines land lines.  My family had a private line.  Dad was a pastor, and felt it important to be able to speak with distraught parishioners over the phone without worrying about who was listening in to the conversation.  But most of my friends had party lines--phone lines shared by two or more households.  The number of rings let you know when the call was for your family--but lots and lots of folks listened in.  You never could be certain your conversation was confidential if you had a party line.  When party lines became a thing of the past, folks thought that was the end of our worries about privacy on the phone.

It's kind of funny.  Today, many people, young and old alike, are taking the next step getting rid of their land lines altogether. Instead, every member of the household has his or her own private cell phone and accompanying number.  My oldest son and his wife got rid of their land line quite some time ago.  They each have their own phone--as does their oldest son.  One household, three phones, three phone numbers.  You'd think that would guarantee privacy.  But it doesn't.  Just ask the German Chancellor.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this.  Maybe you should think of reading this as listening in on a conversation I'm having with myself.  Or maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment