Sunday, June 17, 2018

For Christ's Sake!

When I was thirteen I went with my Dad to live in Scotland for what initially was an indeterminate amount of time.  I was not an immigrant, per se.  But I had no idea how long we would be there.  I was not fleeing from poverty or violence.  The journey was not of my father's choosing.  He was going their to preach.  I was excited about going, but it was not my choice, nor was it in any way under my control. And who would have expected it to have been so?  After all, I was barely thirteen!

When we arrived in Scotland, at the border so to speak, it was my Dad who handled things.  He literally held my passport--and all the money.  He had our undated return plane tickets.  I was far from home and totally at the mercy of adults.  Totally.

I can't even imagine how frightened--how terrorized I would have been had some Scottish official had taken me by the arm and said, "Come with me, son, you're going to have to go to a different place than your father.  WE don't want Yanks coming into our country anymore."  "For how long?" I might have asked if I could have choked back the tears.  "A few minutes?"  "We don't know.  For as long as needed."  I can't imagine what would have gone though my thirteen-year-old mind if I'd been taken in such a manner.  Nor can I imagine how my father would have felt.

Over the last six weeks some two thousand children have been separated from their parents by agents of our government when they have sought to enter the United States.  All due to a policy intentionally designed to discourager illegal immigration.  Many of them are being held in facilities like the converted Wal-Mart where some fifteen hundred boys, ages ten to seventeen, are being held.  Others are being detained in what amounts to large cages.

Clearly, we are very divided as a nation about how to deal with various immigration policies.  But for Christ's sake--literally, for the sake of Christ--can't we at least agree that problems created by adults should not be solved on th4e3 backs of children?

On this Father's Day when so many fathers and mothers and their children are living in anxious fear, I urge you to plan to take time in this coming week to contact those who represent us in Washington.  And whether you think we should build a wall or not, whether you think we should change how visas are issued or not, is immaterial.  It is time for all of us to tell those in positions of authority "No More!"  No more separating children from their parents.  No more.

No comments:

Post a Comment