Monday, August 31, 2020

The Staycation Blues


 

My wife Linda and I are taking a staycation this year.  I've been grumbling about it quite a bit lately.  We had some pretty grand plans for travel this year.  We were going to Santa Fe for a conference and Honolulu for a convention and New England for our late summer-early fall respite.  And none of that happened.  No desert sunsets and Native American art.  No surf and volcanoes.  No lobsters and visits with family and friends. So we're staying put.  Oh we'll probably manage a few day trips.  And I'll work through a large stack of books.  And I'll put in many extra miles on my bike.  But all of that right here in Southwest Florida.  All because of the virus.  So I've been grumbling.

But, and this is a big but, I need to lay off the grumbling.  Otherwise my time off will be filled with resentment and regret!  And really, the books really look look fascinating.   I've got the latest Carl Hiaasen novel--always worth a read.  And the first of the biographies in my new project, the Chief Justice Project.  (I'm reading the last of the presidential biographies I set out to read some four or five years ago, Washington to Obama.  All the former presidents.  Now I'm starting on the Chief Justices.  John Jay is first up.)  I've got a book on retirement that I want to work through, and a biography of Mr. Rogers, and I'll be adding James Cone's The Cross and the Lynching Tree.

And the biking.  I'll have some time in the cooler parts of the day to put on some serious miles.  That will be good.  Good for the body and the soul.

And of course, more time with Linda.  That's always a plus.  We've talked about going to Tampa to the Dali Museum, which we are always meaning to do.  And maybe even a trek over to the East Coast.

Come to think of it, this could be, should be, a pretty good time!  And after all, I have a job that I love that offers me some serious time off, not to mention a pay check.  And there are a lot of folks out there without jobs, and others with jobs that offer no sense of purpose.  And we've stayed healthy through all of this.  And while there are real problems to address in the world, most of them haven't impacted me in such a way as to leave me unable to take a vacation--one at home or on the road.  So I'll stop grumbling, and start saying thank you.  Thank you for all the wondrous parts of my life--including this year's version of a vacation. A staycation.

3 comments:

  1. ENJOY...And yes to the Dali Museum, the Indian Mound owned by a family that takes tours, the glass galleries and Mazzaros for a quick deli lunch in St. Pete...SO MUCH FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is so much to be grateful for with some of us - me! I wonder whose biography of Jay you are reading. I used to work at the state historic site of his home in Bedford,NY, as a docent and school group coordinator, and I wrote a 50 page booklet on Jay and his family that lived there, that is still sold there (after all these years!). He was a very interesting man! You would have liked him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read the latest Carl Hiaasen novel, too. It was so much fun that I read Bad Monkey right after that. And don't miss the Kamala Harris book from last year. She is a real policy wonk (and I mean that in a very good way)! Staying home is great -- there is always something worthwhile to do. Paris is nice, but so is SW Florida.

    ReplyDelete