Tuesday, September 15, 2020

My New Hero

Hugh Starnes is my new hero.  Unless you live in Southwest Florida you've probably never heard of him.  Even if you do live here, you may not recognize the name.  Don't feel bad, I'd never heard of him either, at least not until this past Sunday, when he made the front page of the local daily paper, The News-Press.

Starnes is, or was, a judge, a Senior Judge in the 20th Judicial Circuit.  A well respected judge, by all accounts.  One who served for forty-two years.  But on September 1 he officially stepped down.  Not for health reasons.  Nor to spend more time with his family, though that may happen as well.  No he stepped down so that he could speak up.  Judicial ethics require impartiality.  A sitting judge is not allowed to speak out about partisan matters.  Nor can he or she speak out about social justice issues.  (Yes, there is a certain irony in that.)  So Judge Starnes decided to take off his robes and put on colors.  


In his letter of resignation, Starnes wrote, "My value system will not allow me to sit silently by while our society struggles to deal with . . . flaws that tear at the very fabric of our society . . . . This presents an irreconcilable conflict with my position as a judge, bound by judicial ethics that require me to say nothing."  (The News-Press, 9-13-20, 9A)

Whether or not you agree with the views Starnes is now able to articulate, you have to admire the fact that he so respects the position he held for so many years that he was willing to give it up rather than demean it by violating the code of ethics which govern it.  That's why he is my new hero.

And there is more.  I can relate.  I understand the struggle, for I am also bound ethically (and legally for that matter) to not use my position to advance a partisan cause.  Unlike a judge, however, I can speak out on issues.  And that, I would suggest, I am called to do by the gospel.  So in the weeks ahead you won't find me endorsing any candidates, nor will you find me publicly standing with any party.  But you will find me speaking up for justice, for equity, for peace.  Not just in the weeks ahead, but in whatever time I have.  

3 comments:

  1. “The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.”

    ― Stephen Covey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear there are some people of such probity! Thank you for telling us about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day last winter, I sat with a friend who (as a crime victim) had to be in court. There I saw and heard Judge Starnes on the job. He treated EVERYONE with the utmost respect, kindness, patience and understanding. I will never forget him, and I look forward to hearing him speak out.

    ReplyDelete