Monday, April 26, 2021

Cloaked in Mystery

I have been reading Brian McLaren's latest book, Faith After Doubt.  It is a stimulating read, offering up reassurance for all those who have doubts about God or the basic tenets of their faith.  One of the central notions in McLaren's book is that faith and doubt are inseparable.  Which certainly is true of most people I know.  Even those who are most firmly rooted in their faith.

Having doubts doesn't make you unworthy.  It only shows you are very human.  Yes, it might seem to be easier to move through life with unassailed certainty.  But the truth is, there are few times in life when that is the case.  

These days I find myself saying, "I don't know" with some frequency.  While I would rather be able to say "I am sure of this," or "I have no question about it," the reality is the only thing I can consistently say "Of this I am sure," is love.  Since I subscribe to the Johannine idea that God is love, it means, by extension, I am sure of God's existence.  But how I understand God is in a constant state of flux and evolution.  And that's OK.

I write all this to say, if you have doubts, fear not.  Most do.  There is, after all, why we speak of God being cloaked in mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment