Monday, February 28, 2011


My grandson Chris lost a tooth this weekend. He's at that age where it happens with some frequency. In fact he also celebrated his seventh birthday this weekend. Somehow, in its own odd way, that's reassuring. The situation in North Africa is changing daily, it is almost impossible to keep up with advances in technology, social mores are ever vacillating--change is all around us--all the time! But little boys (and girls) still lose their teeth and celebrate their birthdays.

I'm not opposed to change--I'm no Luddite! In fact, I have often promoted change. Societal change, ecclesiastical change, personal change. But sometimes I get a bit weary of constantly adjusting to things that are new, things that are different. Sometimes I long for "the good old days" when life crawled along like Sanibel traffic in the winter! But that, of course, is a false memory. There was plenty of change in "the good old days" as well! And life could be as hectic in the fifties and sixties as it is today.

No, the secret isn't to be found in going back in time. The secret is to be found in learning to accept life on life's terms. The secret is to be found in celebrating the little things, like lost teeth and a grandson's birthday, and recognizing that there are some constants in life if we will simply pay closer attention!

None of this is particularly profound. But truth is not dependent on profundity! In fact, truth sometimes is pretty basic, even simple. And the truth is that change happens, all the time. And in reality, even lost teeth and birthdays represent change. But such is life. Such is life.
(Photo Credit: Alycia Davis)

3 comments:

  1. How is he now? Is he still losing teeth? We just try to go along as we grow up and find advanced technology helping us. I also experienced that when I had to change from using a typewriter to a computer for doing paperwork in college.

    Suzanne Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandson Chris sure looks adorable with that missing tooth. My niece Kate is five, and I believe she already lost one tooth a few weeks back. I can still recall her excitement in showing off her lost tooth. :)


    Avis Charland

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lost tooth is one of the changes that really happens as our body develops. I guess when Chris lost his tooth was around the time that his gums and teeth is already preparing for the harder variety of food that he may eat in the future. I just hope that he can take good care of his adult teeth with the help of a dentist.

    : Eugenie Velasquez

    ReplyDelete