Monday, March 14, 2011

Have you filled up your gas tank lately? I did just the other day, and despite having a small car with a small tank, I pumped almost fifty dollars worth of gas. It seemed patently absurd to spend so much for fuel! Yet most experts agree that it is the wave of the future. Ever increasing demands on an ever diminishing supply can't help but lead to more expensive energy--not just at the pump, but everywhere.

I thought about all this earlier today as I listened to a report about the precarious situation in Japan where folks are anxiously watching nuclear power plants that have been damaged by the earthquake there this past weekend. Clearly, as we exhaust the supply of fossil fuels we will need to find new sources of energy. But just as clearly, atomic power may not be the panacea we once thought it to be. While it fell from favor for a good stretch of time, it has been making a comeback in the last few years. As one news commentator mentioned this morning, it even made the State of the Union address this year. But now many will rethink it once again.


Some have suggested that wind power has the potential of being a major part of the solution. But it seems any time someone suggests putting up a wind farm somewhere, lots of people complain. The old "not in my backyard" problem. I don't know what the answer is.

Ultimately all environmental issues hit close to home. But while I don't like paying so much for gas, the price hasn't slowed down my rate of consumption. I don't do a lot of wasteful driving. When I go off island, my wife and I try to combine errands and accomplish more than one task on each trip. I own a car that gets fairly decent mileage (about 29 miles to the gallon). I try to watch my carbon footprint. But I'm not about to give up my car! And that doesn't even take into account the many ways I use energy at home, at work and when I play. I want to be a good steward of the environment, but I'm not sure how much I want to sacrifice.


So what are we to do? I'm not the only person who feels this tug, this pull. What will finally cause us to change our ways? Or will we?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everyone,
    I would say that be glad you don't live in Hawaii wher gas is now, (and don't quote me since it will probably change as I am typing), at $4.15 a gallon for regular. My friend says it is suppose to double by Christmas. Oh my! I too try to combine trips into "town", as I currently am living in Hawaii, and live in a rural part and town is about 25-30 minutes away. They do have a free bus here, but no I like my care too. So let's be mindful and keep praying. Take care my friends!

    ReplyDelete