Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thank God for Work!




Labor Day has come and gone. But I'm still thinking about work.



When I was a youngster--and to this day--almost every meal began with our saying grace. Usually we would all recite a memorized prayer together. But once in a while one of us children would say grace. Our prayers were all quite simple and were usually a list of thank yous. Thank you God for this day. Thank you God for the sun. And so on.



I have been told of a grace I said when I was very young in which, looking over the Thanksgiving table spread with the bounty of the feast, I proceeded to pray: "Thank you God for the olives, the pickles, the turkey, the cranberries, the potatoes, the stuffing, the gravy, the peas, the knives the forks, the glasses and the plates. Amen." Indeed, It was a pretty inclusive prayer! But I don't think, in my youthful zeal, I ever thought to thank God for work. Indeed, only as an adult have I realized how grateful I am for gainful and meaningful employment.



I guess Labor Day got me thinking about it. With high unemployment rates, you have to be grateful for any work, I suppose. But when you have work that is fulfilling, meaningful, purposeful, you can't help but feel doubly blessed! I guess that's what people mean when they say I have a calling.



But it's not just preachers who have a calling. I believe we all have a calling. I believe God has a purpose for each and every person. And when we discover that calling, and act on it, then we become a part of God's ongoing act of creation. We share in God's good work. And when we see ourselves as co-workers with the Creator, we have a real sense of self-worth and identity.



I realize, not everyone is as fortunate as I am. Not everyone has work--much less a sense of calling. Sometimes societal and economic barriers stand in the way. But I am convinced we can


break down those barriers. I am convinced that we can move towards full employment and meaningful employment for all. If we only are willing to make it a priority. That just might make Labor Day more than just another Monday holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment