Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Lesson from Koreshan Unity

Recently I had the opportunity to visit one of our local historic sites, the grounds of the Koreshan Unity Settlement in Estero.  The eleven existing buildings at the site represent the utopian community founded by Cyrus Teed in1894.  At one time Koreshan was a self-sufficient group of more than 200 residents who occupied some fifty buildings.  There was a bakery and a print shop and a general store and a saw mill and even a performance hall where plays and concerts were offered.

The Koreshan Unity folks believed in a celibate lifestyle, communal sharing of wealth and possessions, and striving to create the New Jerusalem.  The movement had a novel understanding of the planet--believing that we lived on the inside of an-egg-like shell. 

The last surviving member of the community died in the 1980s, but only after arranging for the transfer of the property to the state of Florida, which maintains the buildings, conducts tours, and otherwise keeps this interesting bit of history alive.

Here's the irony.  I have lived here in the area for over three years.  I have researched the Koreshan Unity group and even taught a class about their novel approach.  But I had never been to the settlement itself.  What finally got me to go?  Out of town guests!  Howe typical!  The locals often miss the best stuff because they think, "It will always be there--I can go anytime I want to!"  How short sighted! 

I'm glad I finally got there--but more than that, I'm glad for the reminder.  Don't wait for visitors to see your own home town, your own local area!

No comments:

Post a Comment