Monday, April 21, 2014

An Answer to My Prayers

I am not one to pray for specific things for myself.  I pray everyday for others.  I happily offer up intercessions on behalf of he sick, the grieving, those who are hungry.  I pray generically for peace and justice to prevail.  But I don't usually pray for me.  I don't offer up very many petitionary prayers, as they are called.

But this was a very long and at times challenging season.  And Lent, for some reason, had been especially draining.  And as I approached Easter Sunday, I felt spiritually bereft.  I wasn't looking forward to celebrating the Resurrection--instead, I was looking forward to taking a nap that afternoon.  So I prayed that I might move through Easter and find a bit of renewal for my soul in the services that morning.

My prayers were answered.  And then some.

It all began at our 7:45 AM service.  It's a rather stripped down affair--no hymns, a shorter liturgy, and the only music being provided by a volunteer pianist who faithfully plays each Sunday while he is here in season.  Easter was his last Sunday this year.  And he played his own arrangement of several hymns--beginning with "The Old Rugged Cross" and then moving on to "Were You There" and "Up from the Grave He Arose."  He concluded with "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today""--my favorite Easter hymn.  It was absolutely lovely.  And it was, as are all of John's preludes, a labor of love.  It touched my heart and my soul as it mirrored my own journey this year.

At our 9:00 and 11:00 AM services our opening hymn was accompanied by a splendid liturgical ribbon dance, presented by one of our young people.  Tricia has done it for four years now, and through it we've watched her grow into an accomplished young woman.  Her twirling ribbon punctuated each and every "Alleluia!"  I silently wept for joy. 

Our second and third services both concluded with a piano/organ duet which has also been a part of our Easter celebration for several years.  The organ part was played by our church organist, but the piano part is always played by a wonderful retired organist and member of our choir--Wanda.  It's been a challenging year for Wanda as she has had to deal with the loss of her husband of many decades, and then a few months ago, shoulder surgery.  She was really unsure if she would be able to play or not.  But she did!  With great force and beauty.  It was a stunning postlude, and as I greeted folks after the service tears trickled down my cheek.

I still took a bit of a nap in the afternoon.  But I rested knowing once again that God is still speaking.  I rested knowing that my prayers were answered.  I rested knowing Christ is risen!  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment