Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Exclusive Claims in a Pluralistic World

We had just finished the first session of our series on Islam and Christianity for about fifty students and staff members at a school in upstate New York.  My co-presenter, an imam and personal friend of mine, had eloquently described the Islamic understanding of revelation, Muhammad and the Qu'ran, and I had discussed the Christian view of Jesus and scriptures as they relate to revealed truth.  I felt that we had given a pretty even-handed presentation, carefully respecting each other's tradition, while at the same time, presenting the basic truths we saw inerrant in our own.

As the audience began to leave the auditorium two or three people came forward to thank us for our program.  Finally I was left standing with one woman who identified herself as a Christian.  It soon became very clear that my description of the basic tenets of Christianity were at variance with hers.

"Why," she asked, "why did you say that most Christians have believed that Jesus is the only way?  That is what being a Christian means:  salvation comes through Christ alone." 

We talked for a while, but it was quite obvious that neither of us was swayed by the other.  She was unwilling to agree that it might be possible for a non-Christian to truly know God, and I was unwilling to consign all non-Christians to eternal damnation.  One thing I had to concede, however, was that in the Bible there is often a very strong emphasis on just such exclusivistic claims.

Of course, Christians are not exclusive in their exclusivity.  Such claims are made in many faith traditions.  Often emanating from foundational texts and teachings.  I for one preach a very inclusive gospel--and believe in a God who loves and accepts all people.  And if that makes me a heretic, so be it.  But even my inclusivity is challenged by those who make exclusive claims.  How do I make room for them in my understandings?  I am convinced it is the theological challenge of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment