Monday, March 2, 2015

Mr. Spock and Myers-Briggs

For years now Star Trek has helped me explain Myers-Briggs Personality Types to parishioners and others as I have worked with them on various issues.  I thought of that when I heard the news that Leonard Nimoy, the actor who portrayed the half-Vulcan, half-human, character named Mr. Spock in the original series.

I remember well watching episodes of Star Trek at my friend Kevin's house when we were in junior and senior high school.  I was always intrigued by the way Gene Roddenberry and his team of writers managed to weave social commentary into what was basically a Western set in outer space.  I loved it! 

Like many fans of the series and the numerous subsequent spin-offs and movies, I was especially intrigued by Spock.  His ability to remain cool and logical in all situations (well most all) was enviable.  Yet even then I realized his dedication to logic sometimes got in the way of a real relationship, for love is often illogical at best!

Which brings me back to Myers-Briggs.  If you are unfamiliar with Myers-Briggs, it is an inventory of personality traits which is loosely based on Jungian psychology.  It measures preferences in  terms of how we like to interact with the world.  It does by  positing four sets of dichotomies.  The one in question is called Thinking-Feeling.  How do you make decisions.  Do you use logic and reason, or are your decisions primarily based on how you or others will feel about the results?  "Mr. Spock," I tell folks, "was the ultimate thinker.  Dr. McCoy, the ultimate feeler.  And Captain Kirk, somewhere in the middle."

The amazing thing is that I've been using Myers-Briggs for over thirty years--and that illustration still holds up.  No matter their age, folks seem to know the characters and the show (or at least the movies).  A show made when I was in  high school in the sixties!

"Live long and prosper," Spock used to say.  A good wish for all humans--Vulcans too, I guess--regardless of their personality type!

No comments:

Post a Comment