Tuesday, April 3, 2018

One of Those People You Can't Forget

I was at home when my friend Charlie called.  It's one of those things you never forget.  Charlie was something of a prankster back then, and I thought he was joking.

 "Martin Luther King is dead?  Are you serious?" 

"Really," he said, "Some guy shot him in Memphis."

I didn't know what to say as tears welled up in my eyes.  I was a freshman in high school, and I'd just gotten home from school when Charlie called.  I'd never met Dr. King.  At that point I'd not even read anything he'd written.  But his televised speeches; his unrelenting efforts to champion not only people of color, but the poor in general, had made a tremendous impact on my young life.  Truly helped to shape it in ways that are still reflected, lo these fifty years alter, in the things I say and do.  He was one of my childhood heroes.  He still is.

In some ways we've come a long way since 1968.  In some ways we haven't.  Indeed on certain fronts it feels like we've gone a few steps backwards.  The dream he spoke of so eloquently, is still not fully realized. 

We have been hearing a lot about him as we approach the fiftieth anniversary of that day in 1968.  And that is well and good.  We should honor his memory with words and stories.  But more importantly, we should honor his memory with action, for there is much to be realized, much to be accomplished, if we are to become the beloved community that he envisioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment