Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Sri Lanka, New Zealand and the Crucifixion of Love

I had just finished the second of three services we held on Easter Sunday.  I had spoken words of hope and resurrection, citing examples of both from the recent church fires at Notre Dame and three churches owned by black congregations in Louisiana.  "They . . . will rise up from the ashes," I proclaimed in my best preacher voice. Because of the strong convictions held by congregants that "somehow, someway, the one they [call] Teacher, [is] still with them, still present, and that somehow that [has] been made possible by the love of God.  A love that never ends.  A love that conquers all."

And then someone shared the news with me about Sri Lanka.  I hadn't heard it on my way into to church earlier in the morning, I had been listening to the music of Easter.  I hadn't been online even though I did a bit of work on my computer.  So I hadn't heard that on the holiest day of the Christian year hundreds had been killed and wounded by hate.  Again.

I teared up when I was told the news, and then shook my head.  "I'm not changing my message," I said, "I still believe in hope."  And so I do.  It's just that some days its much harder than others.  Some days one just wants to bag it all and join the senseless fray.  Like today, when the news says the Sri Lankan bombings were in response to the attacks on the mosques in new Zealand last month.  Will we ever learn?  Hate does beget hate.  Violence does beget violence!

But love never ends--and love conquers all.  That's what the preacher had said.  And so I'll keep on doing what I do.  I'll keep on issuing a call for understanding, tolerance, acceptance--and preaching a message of hope.  Because I do believe that though it sometimes looks like love has been crucified, in the end there is resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment