Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Ode to Autumn (Or Why I Quit Grumbling)

Autumn.  My favorite season of the year.  I love the crisp air, not to mention the crisp apples!  I am awed by the beauty of the changing leaves, the various shades and colors that appear on the hillsides.  I am relieved by having a bit of cool weather . . .

But wait.  I live in Florida, year round!  And while I might normally find my way to New England for a visit in September, this year Covid19 is keeping us home.  So no crisp air, no local McIntosh apples, no leaves turning color in any dramatic fashion on the hillsides (no hillsides for that matter!) and as for cool weather?  Give me a break!

Now I have a choice here.  I can grumble and complain.  I can invoke pity.  Or I can remember I made the choice to move to Florida.  I knew what I would be giving up to live here.  I also knew what I would be gaining--like weather that allows me to ride my bike year round.  Like beautiful scenes of palm tree lined roadways and beaches at sunset. 

And more importantly, I can remember why we moved here in the first place.  To serve a really fine congregation.  And to be closer to some of our family (all our grandkids were here at the time we moved--now we have two more who are in New England, and we miss seeing them more than I miss seeing the fall leaves, but that's another essay.)  The main thing is this.  We always have choices, maybe not in the external details of our lives, but in how we view them.  It's as common a bit of wisdom as the old cliché about glasses being half empty or half full.  But it is still valid wisdom.  One we do well to adopt for ourselves.

Autumn?  It can still be my favorite season of the year.  Just for different reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment