Monday, May 17, 2021

Heart Broken and Tongue Tied

I'll be honest with you.  I want to write about what's going on in Gaza and Israel.  I want to say something profound about the value of human life, no matter the religion, the ethnicity or the nationality of any particular individual.  I want to say, "Knock it off!"  But I just don't know how.

Partly that's because I feel underinformed about the whole matter.  I've been to Israel, twice.  I've been to the border with Gaza.  I've seen the wall and been stopped by Palestinian and Israeli soldiers in crossing between the two regions.  I have met Muslims, Jews and Christians in the region who are working on the ground for peace. I've read a fair amount about the issue.  But it still feels too complex to address in any meaningful way.

And maybe that's the problem.  It is complicated.  And it does feel like no matter what one says somebody will be upset, somebody will feel you are being unfair.  Maybe that's why peace talks have inevitably fallen apart in the region.  Maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't know what to say, how to address the issue.

One thing I do know for sure.  Lives are being lost.  Innocent lives.  Palestinian lives and Israeli lives.  And property is being destroyed, laid to ruin.  And none of this in the long run can do much to advance the cause of peace.  Violence, as I see it, only begets violence.  Not an original thought--but at the moment it's all I've got to offer.  That and my prayers.  My deeply felt and sincerely offered prayers.


1 comment:

  1. You look for clarity....

    Let’s imagine that the Sinaloa cartel launched unguided rockets in residential San Diego because tenants of Tijuana rental properties that haven’t paid their rents in many of months were evicted from properties that are owned by US citizens.

    Now after the rockets were launched the California/US government contacted the Mexican government asking why is this happening and the Mexican government said “Wasn’t us....can’t help you.”

    Does the California/US governance not proportionally respond in the minimal?

    ReplyDelete