Monday, July 19, 2021

Thoughts about Time and Grandkids and Old Friends and Retirement

Back to school sales are already popping up in the retail sector, even though school for some doesn't begin for a month and a half.  For others, like children and young people who live in our county, school resumes in just three weeks!
This summer three of my six grandchildren have had summer jobs.  And two of them will continue in those positions with fewer hours after school reopens.  My oldest grandson is already in the full-time work force, leaving just the two youngest ones to take part in routine summer activities.  And as they both turn thirteen this year, that will change soon as well.

It is so cliched to ask "Where does the time go?"--but it's true.  The sensation of time passing ever more rapidly is experienced by many, many folks, maybe even most.  

This weekend an old seminary classmate who I haven't spoken to in years, touched base.  It was good catching up, but it too provided a reminder that tempus fugit!  More than once one of us said something like, but that was forty years ago now!  He is older than I am and has been retired for over ten years!  And this coming April I will retire.

My birthday is this week (Thursday) and that may be why I'm waxing poetic about time and age and so on.  I turn sixty-eight. Compared to many, if not most of my parishioners, I'm still a kid! 
 Whatever, I have very little to complain about, and am grateful to have grandchildren who are blossoming, old friends who haven't forgotten me, and a job from which I can retire when the day comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment