Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Autumn Memories--Then and Now


 Autumn.

It really is different here in Florida.  While I think of cooler temperatures and crisp air, in Florida we are still in the upper eighties and even the low nineties.  Humidity levels are still very high.  And there is green all around us.  

Yes, there are some subtle differences as we move into this new season.  And in time the temperatures will drop--a bit.  Humidity will let up.  And it will be wonderful.  (I call the weather in January "Why I Moved to Florida" weather.)  But still . . . it's not a New England style autumn.  When September rolled around the kids here had already been back in school for three weeks!  And the beaches were just as crowded as ever on the weekend.

I'm not complaining.  (OK, maybe a little!)  But I am realizing yet again, in this my twelfth autumn here in Florida, that the one thing I miss the most is--well, autumn!  The whole idea of a crisp new beginning.  The digging out sweatshirts and blue jeans.  The best apples in the world, right off the tree. In some ways, though, its more a feeling than a set of details.  There is a certain nostalgia about autumn.  

But autumn as I remember it, is of my experience here and now.  And while I could wallow in nostalgia and a touch of sadness, I am far better served expressing my gratitude for beautiful memories, and my appreciation of the fact that every day I get to make new ones.  Here. Now.  In Florida! 


1 comment:

  1. I so understand your feeling!!! That's one of the reasons I am here and not there.

    ReplyDelete