Monday, January 3, 2022

Tired of Decision-making--Version 2022

Have you noticed?  It's a new year, but we seem to be faced with a lot of the same old challenges, and decisions we need to make.  Do I wear a mask?  Do I eat indoors at restaurants?  Do I watch church on my phone or laptop, or do I attend services in person?  Do I cancel a trip, or still try to navigate airports and ever-changing airline schedules?  And the list goes on.

For some of us it means making decisions about scheduled events.  Do we cancel or plunge ahead?  Do we go virtual or hybrid or all in person?  For others it means facing choices around surgery--having it or not?  Holding a wedding or memorial service?   Should my kid go to school or stay home and attend virtually?

There can be little question that it is all very wearing.  And as a result, we are having more difficulty dealing with other people.  Tempers are shorter.  Words are less kind.  Some communication cues are missing altogether.

I don't like making all the decisions required these days any more than the next person.  I get weary of them.  And I get short at times.  But I can do better.  We can do better, if we put our minds to it, and remember that key teaching in Judaism, Christianity and virtually (no pun intended) every other major religious tradition.  Love your neighbor as yourself.

Let's recommit in this new and challenging year, to do just that.

We'll all be better for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment