Monday, April 4, 2022

Retirement Ahead: Will I Sleep In?

Three weeks from today I will be able to sleep in if I so choose.  I will be retired.  (My last Sunday here at Sanibel Congregational UCC will be April 24.)
  Knowing myself, I don't really anticipate sleeping in (which in my case means anything after 6:00 AM) but who knows?  I will have that choice and can exercise it if I so desire.

Preparing for retirement has been a long process, one in which I am still engaged.  I read a couple of books, spoken at length with my spiritual director and therapist about the implications of retirement for my spiritual and psychological health and wellbeing.  I am part of a support group (a community of practice in church speak) for those preparing for retirement or newly retired.  I've prayed about it, spoken with friends who are already retired.  Consulted with my financial advisors.  And of course, have had long conversations with my wife Linda.

Frankly I have mixed emotions going into this next phase of my life.  I have been in parish minsitry now for forty-five years.  More than two-thirds of my life!  And while at times it has been frustrating, for the most part it has been a very satisfying experience and a career well-lived.  Frankly, I will miss having a regular pulpit.  But I also anticipate having more discretion in how I spend my time and being free of many of the administrative aspects of my work.

I realize my experience is far from unique.  But it is my only experience of this transition, and so it feels unique.  I am not overly concerned, nor am I overly excited.  When people say "Congratulations!" I am not sure what I am being congratulated for.  Enduring?  Having a good career?  Being able to retire?  But mostly I am grateful.  Grateful for my career, grateful for the people i have served with, and grateful for the resources that allow this transition to happen.

Will I sleep in?  Check with me in three weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Our dear friend and Pastor, John. For the rest of our lives Suzanne and I will celebrate the time that you have been our friend and spiritual leader. Your sermons have been both spirtual and insprational and will continue to guide and support us.
    May God continue to uphold you and Linda, and all those that you love. God Bless, Fred and Suzanne

    ReplyDelete