Monday, August 8, 2011

Deep in the Soul of Texas

I am deeply troubled by last Saturday's prayer rally called The Response held at Reliant Stadium in Houston. Not because of the rally itself. Not that it reflected my own theology. It didn't. But that's not a real problem. After all, as they say, this is America and, thank God, we are free to believe as we choose. So while I cannot subscribe to the idea that a significant part of the population is consigned to damnation--one of the tenets in the statement of faith posted by The Response on their website--I defend the right of others to hold such beliefs.

No, what bothered me about the rally was the fact that it was initiated and basically hosted by a sitting governor, Rick Perry of Texas. Don't misunderstand. I have no issue with the fact that the Governor is a man of faith. I have no issue with his letting his religious views be known by others. And I would assume as he makes various decisions he will consider things in light of his own beliefs, religious or otherwise. But using his bully pulpit as a literal pulpit crosses the line.

I looked over the website for The Response. There is no question, it was a Christian event--and a very narrowly defined version of Christian at that. The home page of the website even has a virtual altar call. "The call to repentance and a lifestyle of worship," it reads, "does not end with an event, but rather begins with that moment when we say 'yes' to Jesus." (http://www.theresponseusa.com/) Viewers of the site are then invited to click further if they want to make a commitment. In the opposite column on the homepage, one finds the prayer that Governor Perry offered at the rally.

Listen, I'm a Christian. I love Jesus. Really! I pray every day. My staff and I pray every weekday morning for our nation. And I would suggest all Christians are called to do the same! Including the Governor of Texas! But Rick Perry isn't just the governor of Texans who consider themselves to be Christians--no more than I'm just the pastor of those parishioners who hold my political views. Its bigger than that for both of us. I'm the pastor of Republicans and Democrats and Independents and folks who've give up on the system all together. And Rick Perry is the Governor of Roman Catholics and Muslims and Buddhists and whether he likes it or not atheists as well. As such, he needs to bend over backwards to make room for all people in his vision of Texas--and of America. Frankly, I don't think that happened on Saturday. And that's what bothered me about the rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment