Monday, February 20, 2012

Pipers and Pills and Paying the Price

I've been thinking a lot about the current dust-up about including mandatory birth control coverage in insurance policies, even those offered by organizations operated by religious groups.  And as I've thought about it, I've been reminded of something my late father used to say:  "Whoever pays the piper calls the tune."

Now as anyone who reads this blog knows, I am a big fan of religious freedom.  I think the separation of church and state is vital to the health and well being of both!  But I'm not convinced that this mandate is a breach of that wall. 

To begin with, churches and other institutions which are set up to help folks pursue their religious practices are exempt.  If a church or mosque or temple or synagogue insures its pastors or staff, it does not have to provide coverage for birth control pills or other forms of contraception.  And that is right and proper.  But if a religious body has chosen to operate say a hospital, that institution was not exempted in the original mandate.  And no individual is being forced to buy or use contraceptive devices.  (For the sake of this piece, I'm setting aside the compromise mandate.)

I certainly believe that serving the sick, the poor, those in need of education and so on, can be and often is a religious practice.  My own denomination has a long history of doing just that!  But I tend to agree with those who have suggested churches and others have already climbed over the wall of separation the minute they have accepted federal dollars to support their programs.  What hospital doesn't accept Medicare?  What college doesn't accept federal grants?  If a church-related hospital or school is operated without tax dollars, then fine, I agree--it should be exempt from such mandates.  But if not, if it is operating with monies provided by the government, then certain rights and privileges are given up.

My Dad was rather conservative, and we often disagreed.  But I suspect he'd back me up on this one.  Like I said, he was fond of saying "Whoever pays the piper calls the tune."

No comments:

Post a Comment