Monday, February 27, 2012

Phony Theology? What's That?

I have been giving some thought to the term "phony theology."  And the more I think about it, the more I question its validity.  Faulty theology I can understand.  That's theology that fails to use the basic rules of logic.  For instance, if I start with the basic premise that God is loving but then go on to say God hates gay people, that's faulty theology.  But phony theology--I don't get it.  It certainly seems to imply that there is only one theology that can be considered genuine, and that any other theological position is fake or unreal. 

So I looked the word theology up in the dictionary--just to make sure I was remembering its definition (after all, what do I know, I've only got a PhD in Religious Studies--I could have missed a class or two!)  And there it was, just as I remembered it.  "Theology:  1. the study of religious faith, practice and experience; esp:  the study of God and God's relation to the world  2a:  a theological theory or system . . . b) a distinctive body of theological opinion . . . ."  (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition)

Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but it seems to me that the only way theology can be "phony" theology is if a person says such and such is their theological position, when its not what they really believe.  For instance, if  Buster espouses a liberal theological position and says it is his own, when in reality he believes in a very fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible then case, Buster would be espousing phony theology.  But if Buster is really a liberal, and really believes in a liberal interpretation of scripture, then his theology isn't phony--its liberal.  His theory, his theological system, is liberal.  That is his distinctive theological opinion.  It's not phony.  It's real.

All too often, I think, much of the world sees the word "Christian" and automatically assumes that means conservative, or fundamentalist.  But the truth is we Christians have a fairly wide array of theological understandings and systems.  Our theological opinions run the gamut.  Some of our interpretations of scripture, some of our understandings of God, are extremely liberal, some are extremely conservative, and many are somewhere in between.  But just because I don't agree with another Christian (or a person of a different faith for that matter) that doesn't make their theology phony.  Just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment