Monday, March 5, 2012

Seminary Sorrows

I recently received a letter from my seminary indicating that they would be suspending their basic degree programs in 2013.  It seems that enrollment and finances are both running too low to continue functioning on the same level.  I suppose I should have seen it coming.  After all, it wasn't that long ago that the seminary sold their main campus and moved into buildings on the grounds of a local college.  Still, it caught me off guard.  The school officials assure us that the seminary won't completely disappear, but rather be reconfigured, transformed, to meet some of the needs of the wider church.

I am desperately trying to separate some of my personal feelings from all of this.  I made some of my most enduring friendships in seminary.  My theology was dramatically altered by my time there.  My faith was deepened.  I brought my daughter home to a seminary apartment when she was born.  The list goes on!  Obviously I am disappointed by these developments!  My seminary experience shaped my faith, my career--my whole life! And to think the institution that has meant so much to me may disappear from the scene feels like I'm losing a part of the very ground upon which I stand!

But the longer I reflect on it, the more I realize I am disappointed for another reason, one that reaches beyond the boundaries of my own small life.  I am disappointed because I think allowing such an institution to fail is a reflection on the state of the church itself.  Why has our denomination, which has historically placed such a strong emphasis on an educated clergy done such a poor job of supporting my seminary, and the other seminaries that are related to the United Church of Christ?

Will this serve as a wake-up call for my denomination?  For the Christian Church in general?  I don't know.  I hope so.  And maybe my seminary will emerge from all this a stronger, better institution.  But right now, it just feels sad.  Very, very sad.

1 comment:

  1. It is sad, John. Thanks for your thoughts. I have my own thoughts on seminary support and the UCC. I wonder how it is that the church of Edwards and the Niebuhrs hasn't produced a first rank scholar in years, except for Walter Brueggemann, and he has recently become an Episcopalian.

    ReplyDelete