Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What Time Is It? Really!

Let's talk about daylight savings time.  Personally, I find it confusing--mentally and physically.  I understand that it was originally established to benefit farmers, and that's a good thing.  Farmers, especially small family farmers, need all the help they can get.  But is daylight savings time really helpful?  Has anyone polled farmers lately to find out what they think?

It is, of course, something of a misnomer.  No daylight is actually saved.  I mean, you can't put it in a bank and pull it out when you need it.  The bottom line is that we have the same amount of daylight--it just gets pushed around.  Instead of an hour more daylight in the morning, you get more at night.  But the total remains unchanged.  No savings.  Just reallocation.  Maybe it should be called daylight reallocation time.  That would be more honest.

I guess I should come clean here.  I get up fairly early in the morning, somewhere around 6:00 AM, and go out for a walk on the beach.  Just as things were getting so that I could see my feet when I was trying to put on my sneakers--boom!  Suddenly we are plunged back into the dark again.  And now it will be a good month before I see my socks, much less my feet.

I suppose I'm whining.  And with all the world's problems, this is really rather inconsequential.  Still, a guy should be allowed to grumble about something once in a while.  After all, Andy Rooney did it for decades every Sunday night.

I wonder what he thought about switching around our clocks twice a year?

No comments:

Post a Comment