Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wheels for Wheels--Day 1

Florida City, FL


A good ride today--65 miles!  Started out in Hallandale, south of Fort Lauderdale, and made my way through Miami Beach, Miami, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Cutler Ridge, Homestead and Florida City.  Some of the route was very urban (including downtown Miami!), some was suburban, including a lovely stretch called Pine Tree Drive in Miami Beach, lined with Australian pines, and a fair amount of rural territory  passed through tree farms (mostly palms of all varieties) and along drainage canals.

Linda and Zak headed off to the Miami Zoo for the day, never more than a cell phone call away should I need them.  Linda's a fan of elephants and giraffes--and Zak loved the faces the alpacas make.  We reconnected at the hotel late in the afternoon, and as I write they are playing a hot game  of cards!

I was delighted with all the landmarks I passed.  The Opera House in Miami.  The Fillmore Jackie Gleason Theater (ah, the Honeymooners, they still resonate!).  The NASCAR track in Homestead. The Air Force Base. I sometimes forget Miami is a real city--not just a winter getaway!

One of the things I took note of along the way were the various religious institutions.  I passed Temple Menorah, whose backyard was filled with laughing children, no doubt a preschool.  My daughter Liz went to a Jewish Preschool.  Around Hanukkah one year she informed me she wanted to be Jewish!  In Miami I passed a Christian Science Church with a sign out front announcing that there was simultaneous Spanish translation at their service.  I saw a Kingdom Hall (Jehovah's Witnesses) and a Lutheran Church, an Episcopalian Church that invited folks inside where it was "prayer conditioned," and even one of our own, Plymouth Congregational Church.  My favorite though was a United Methodist Church that was advertising it's current sermon series:  "Games People Play."  This week's game?  "Sorry!"  That could cover a multitude of sins!

Speaking of apologies, near the end of the ride I realized I hadn't prayed.  I rather sheepishly confessed the same to God, and offered up my excuses.  The urban part of the trip had required all my attention, later when the ride was simpler in the rural areas, I was tired . . . We really can turn anything into an excuse when it comes to prayer, can't we?  Whatever, my prayers tonight include prayers of thanksgiving for a safe ride today.  And despite a few achy parts, my sixty year old body seems to be holding up.

Your interest and support is much appreciated.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment