Monday, July 29, 2013

Wheels for Wheels/60 for 60, Part II

This is it--the week for Wheels for Wheels!  Starting Wednesday , July 31, I'll be making my three day, 180 mile trip from just south of Fort Lauderdale to Key West.  I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm almost ready to roll!  I need to make my way to my local bike shop to pick up a spare tube or two.  I need to buy some Gatorade to make sure those electrolytes stay balanced.  And I need to review the maps one more time to make sure about the route.  Once I get past Miami it's pretty straightforward--US 1--the Overseas Highway--and adjacent bike paths all the way.  But things really twist and turn through Miami and its immediate environs.

So many people have helped make this trip a reality.  Not only the dozens and dozens of folks who have made donations for the Wheelchair Foundation, but others as well.  Our Office Manager here at church, Sandy Simmons, who's been keeping track of the donations.  Parishioner Dick Travas, who helped me figure out my new bike rack.  My fellow Rotarians, who have been cheering on the whole effort.  The members of our church who have not only made many contributions, but have also offered up their prayers for my safety. Rotarian John Carney, who gave me what amounts to a lifetime supply of sunscreen.  My grandson Zak, who will provide good company along the way.  And most especially, my wife Linda.  Having her as support on the route will make all the difference!

When I first conceived of this idea, I wasn't sure it would ever happen.  But it is coming to fruition!  And so a thank you in advance to all who have helped out as I've gone through the preparations.  If you check in here each of those three days in the evening, you'll find a post with some of that day's adventures!

What a great way to celebrate turning sixty!



No comments:

Post a Comment