Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Syria, Luke and Grandma

I usually preach from the lectionary, that three-year cycle of scripture readings used by millions of Christians around the world.  Due to some local programming here on Sanibel I am going "off-lectionary" this Sunday as we honor grandparents.  I just didn't want to try and unwind the words Jesus speaks in the assigned gospel reading from Luke.  "Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters . . . cannot be my disciple."  (Luke 14:26)  Somehow I don't think grandparents are exempt--he just didn't think to mention them.  He doesn't mention cousins or aunts or uncles either, but they too are probably on the list.  I think I have some understanding of what he means here--essentially that God must come first above all others--but I just didn't want to tackle that.  Call me wimp, but so it goes.

Besides, if I did take on the text, I would probably have to focus on the second half of it.  The entire lesson as assigned runs from verse 25 through 33.  It is all about the cost of discipleship.  The cost of following Jesus.  And he uses an example which, as the say about the stories on Law and Order, is "ripped from the headlines."  In the New Revised Standard Version it reads, in part, as follows:  "What king going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand>  If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace."  (Luke 14:31-32)

Imagine the places a preacher could go this Sunday with such a text!  He or she could focus on any number of issues related to the current crisis over Syria!  The importance of careful debate and consultation.  The need to look at all the issues.  The value of diplomacy.  The dangers of war.  The desirability of peace.  But in the end, such foci would miss the point of the text.  For Jesus is very clearly saying, if you want to follow me, if you want to be a disciple, consider the consequences!  For such a choice will change your life in ways you may not even be able to comprehend. 

I don't think this or any other Biblical text can be used to answer the specific questions that have emerged in this or any other situation.  But I do think it can be used to remind those who claim to follow Christ that such a commitment means applying his way of life to all of life.  Including where one stands on issues of war and peace.  Radical?  You bet.  Difficult?  Are you kidding me?  The hardest thing of all!  Yet the one thing necessary.

Come to think of it, over the years that's something I've heard a grandparent or two say.

No comments:

Post a Comment