Monday, August 26, 2013

Inspired--Not Stumped

Psalm 8 is one of my very favorite passages in the Bible:
 
O Lord, my God,
How wonderful is your name in all the earth.
When I look to the heavens,
And see the stars that you have made,
I wonder, what are human beings that you care for them?
Yet you have made them little lower than the angels themselves!
 
I have had that experience more than once as I have gazed at the night time sky--and I had it again last week as my wife Linda and I visited the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in California
and experienced the redwoods.  What incredible trees!  Some are said to be up to two thousand years old!  Imagine, some of them were standing when Jesus walked the earth!
 
The Stout Grove in the Jedediah Smith Park was the gift of Clara Stout who wanted to honor her husband Frank and protect the beautiful 44 acre stand of redwoods.  It was donated in 1929 to the Save the Redwoods League.  Thank God for Clara--and the League!  Because of their efforts we can all be moved by their beauty!
 
Cathedrals are built to draw our attention heavenward--to help us consider the majesty of God. No wonder the term "cathedral-like" is often used to describe Stout Grove, for there the redwoods do just that.  Like the stars that inspired the psalmist, they too prompt us to consider the majesty of God.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment