Monday, August 5, 2013

Things I Learned on My Bike Ride

Well, I'm back in my office.  The only wheels under my feet are on my desk chair.  Feels a little strange not to be riding, but my congregants might get a little worried if I start scooting down the church deck in the chair!

I've had some time to reflect on the ride itself, and have realized that I learned some important truths.  Or, actually, relearned them.

1)  NEVER UNDERESTIMATE PEOPLE'S GENEROSITY
     When I set my initial fundraising goal for this Wheels for Wheels adventure I figured I'd be very fortunate to reach $6000--60 times the $100 needed for each wheelchair.  But from the moment I started to talk about it, folks were making pledges and writing checks.  When I approached the Rotary Board of Directors about sponsoring the ride, they immediately put up a $3500 challenge grant.  My friends and family came through with flying colors!  Almost every one of the 40 or so people I wrote to responded with kinds words and a donation.  And my congregation?  My word, what incredibly generous folks!
      All too often we forget the old fundraising maxim that people really do want to give if they have some worthy cause to support.  Buying a wheelchair for a kid in the third world who is dragging him or herself along the ground because he or she has no legs is a worthy cause!
      Never underestimate people's generosity!

2)  NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A KID'S DETERMINATION
     When we decided to have our grandson Zak come along and ride part of the way, I figured he'd be good for ten or so miles a day.  I didn't want him riding on day one because of the city traffic, so that left about twenty miles.  He rode twenty-seven.  And he could have ridden double that! 

3)  NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
     On the last day of the ride I was on a bike path on one of the lower Keys, when suddenly ahead of me I saw three construction workers.  They had a plank across the path, and a wheelbarrow right in front of it.  Before I could get off the path, they had whisked away the plank, moved the barrow and essentially apologized for being in the way.  Apologize?  No need gents!  You were just doing your work!  Thanks for being so kind!

4)  NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE LOVE OF A SPOUSE
     As much as I enjoyed the ride, as much as Zak did as well, poor Linda really got the short end of things.  There was a whole lot of waiting by the roadside, anxiety about connecting up at the right spot, and downright concern as she stared down the narrow passage called the Seven Mile Bridge and watched me take off.  But there she was, every step of the way.  Thanks Linda.  Thanks for helping me make a dream come true.

I learned lots of other things too--like the importance of hydration, and the benefits of cell phones and the reality that ours is a fragile planet.  I learned anew the importance of protecting the environment, and the beauty of the state where I live, and the sheer majesty of the setting sun.  And most importantly, I learned that God has given us a world that works well when we are willing to work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment