Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas Cards and Advent Candles

I don't know about you, but I sometimes find it difficult to know just when to get into the so-called "holiday spirit."  What with the media touting pre-Christmas sales even before Halloween, and the malls putting up decorations before Thanksgiving, I am always very tempted to delay my own thinking about the approach of Christmas as long as possible.

But there are two events that tend to wake me to the reality that Christmas is on the way.  One is the arrival of the first Sunday in Advent. Somehow the lighting of that first candle always sparks in me a sense of expectation.  The other event is far more mundane and rather secular in nature and that is the arrival of the first Christmas card of the season.

Yesterday was the first Sunday in Advent, and so we lit the first candle.  And Saturday we received our first card.  Sort of.  It came from our newspaper carrier--and included a self-addressed envelope in the hopes that we would send her a Christmas tip.  We will, of course.  She provides excellent service throughout the year and I rely on the two papers she brings us for news and information.

As I think about it, her card is an especially appropriate way to begin the season.  After all, while the news she brings isn't always good news, the Advent season itself is also
about news.  Good news.  Good news that the Messiah is coming!   And just as my paper carrier's card is designed to solicit a response on my part, so too the good news of the Advent season calls for action. 

As you prepare for Christmas, might you reflect on the good news that the Messiah is coming.  And might it prompt within you a renewed commitment to live in hope, work for peace, share the joy and to love God and neighbor.

(Photo Credit:  Bruce Findley)

No comments:

Post a Comment