Monday, December 23, 2013

Who Needs Christ During Christmas?

On the last Sunday in Advent, December 22,  the Sunday New York Times ran a story about how atheists move through this season of the year.  One group, the well-organized American Atheists, sponsored a video billboard near Penn Station that asked, "Who Needs Christ During Christmas?"  The billboard went on to answer it's own question.  "NOBODY" it proclaimed in large capital letters.
Well, I for one, would like to disagree.

First let me make a couple of things clear.  First, and foremost, I am a champion of religious liberty--which includes the right to have no religion.  Being an atheist is as protected a right in this country as being the most devout Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu or Wiccan!  Not only do atheists have the right to practice (or not practice) their beliefs, they have the right to talk about them, promote them, and encourage others to adopt them.  So I have no issue with the right to have such a sign--even if it is somewhat "in your face".

Second, I am well aware that while most atheists are not going to be so aggressive about their beliefs, there are a growing number of folks who don't believe in God and don't see a need for Christ in their lives.  Indeed, 20% of Americans, while not necessarily atheists, have no religious identity. (Fort-Myers News Press, 12-22-13, 7B)  Pollsters call them "nones".  Clearly, we who are religious, may need to do a better job of promoting the value of faith! 

All that notwithstanding, however, I for one do need Christ during Christmas.  I need Christ during Easter and Memorial Day and even on Tuesday next.  I need the strength and courage that comes from knowing God has come to us and, as one of our liturgies puts it, "shared our common lot".  I need Christ because in and through him I have learned that there is more to life than meeting my own needs.  I need to keep Christ in Christmas and in every season of the year because without him I am selfish and self-centered and, to use a word I rarely use, lost.  No in some metaphysical sense of the word--I'm not talking about my eternal destiny here.  I just mean I don't know the way to go.  Without the road to Bethlehem, I live as if my GPS were broken.

So Happy Holidays--whatever they are for you.  And Merry Christmas--that's what it is for me this time of year.  Christmas.  And you can go your way, and I can go mine, and we can choose to get along. But for me, the way is one set by Christ.  And that's why SOMEBODY does need Christ during Christmas.  And at least one of those somebodies is me.

1 comment:

  1. God bless you and your family, and the congregation you serve to have amazing Christ filled Christmas ;0) -- Freedom allows for change and for us all to voluntarily come to God through Christ -- that's what the free-will thing is all about, right? ;) --

    ReplyDelete