Monday, January 6, 2014

A View from the Past Informing the Present

I'm currently involved in what I'm calling my Presidential Project.  It's really pretty straightforward.  I've decided to read a biography of each of our presidents in chronological order.  Not only will it give me new insights into the individual men who've held that office, it is also providing me with a review of our history as a nation.  After slogging through the antebellum crowd (folks like John Tyler and Franklin Pierce) I have finally gotten to Lincoln.  What a relief--what a breath of fresh air! 

One of the things I've been reminded of as I've made my way through our nation's first decades, is the reality that slavery was the driving issue.  Period.  There are those who suggest it was states rights versus federalism, and others who suggest it was economic differences in the north and south.  And those things certainly played a role, but year after year, the dominant issue was slavery.  Even Lincoln, initially, was not interested in abolishing it altogether, rather simply limiting it's expansion.

That said, let me recommend a movie.  12 Years a Slave.  If you hurry you can still catch it in theaters.  It is a powerful piece.  Beautifully written, it features some excellent performances and a stunning musical score.  But it is graphic--little is left to the imagination.  I found myself turning away from the screen more than once--and you will be hard pressed not to shed a tear. 

Seeing the film, reading the biographies, I am reminded why it has taken so long for us to escape the underlying racism that still exists in this country.  Some say that studying history is a waste of time, that we need to focus on the present.  I say, you can't understand the present without knowing the past.

1 comment:

  1. I was deeply impressed by the movie as well. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete