Monday, March 31, 2014

Rethinking Noah

For years I've been concerned about the story of Noah and his Ark.  It really is a rather unsettling tale--which no doubt it is supposed to be.  After all, it tells of a God so vicious that he (it's definitely a male version of God in the Noah story) decides to completely, totally wipe out the earth.  Except for Noah, his closest kin, and the animals.  Well some of the animals.  Two of each variety (or, if you read the second version of the story in Genesis, seven pairs of each species considered kosher, and one pair of those deemed unclean).  I guess fish got off the hook (pardon the pun).  I mean, it was a flood after all!  But aside from things that swim in the seas, and the select group on Noah's Ark, nothing survives.

Now, don't misunderstand.  I'm not concerned about the fact that there are a lot of holes in the story, and that it doesn't appear to be historically accurate.  I can live with that. I read a lot of fiction--and I'm always finding truth expressed within it's pages. Indeed, a little mystery is good for the soul!  No, that's not my concern.  Rather I am concerned about the way God is depicted--and the fact that this story is so often a part of Sunday school curricula.  I imagine it's because of the animals.  Kids love animals.  And they are fun to draw.  But really, do I want children thinking that God might wipe us out at any minute?  I know, there is the rainbow at the end of the story, and God's promise to never destroy the earth by flood in the future. But kids always want to know why--and that leads to all sorts of interpretive issues, some of which are way beyond the reasoning powers of a six year old!

I'm not advocating cleaning up the story.  I'm not suggesting we throw it out of the Bible.  But  maybe we need to rethink when and how it is told.  Maybe it is a story for adults to ponder--not little kids.

I've not seen the movie Noah yet, so I can't comment on the particulars.  I understand it plays fast and loose with the Biblical tale that lies behind it.  But that is almost always the way with Hollywood.  And if it prompts some discussion about the story, well and good.  I'm just glad it's rated PG-13. 

No comments:

Post a Comment