Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Why I'm on Facebook (or Remembering Fred Phelps)

I first decided to go on Facebook to keep up with the younger members of my family.  My children, their partners, my nieces and nephews were all posting and friending all over the place.  So I signed up.

Most of the time the pictures and comments they post are just the everyday trivia of life--like most of Facebook.  But sometimes we learn of a new job, or a sick pet, or a tough school assignment through Facebook and we're able to respond in helpful ways.  And sometimes we get to learn a bit more about their thoughts and feelings about the world around them.  This is especially true for my nieces and nephews, who are scattered all around the country, and who I rarely get to see in person.

My niece Jennifer  is a yoga teacher, and a very together young woman. Last week she  posted her response to the death of Fred Phelps.  It brought me up short.  It was just what I needed to hear.  Phelps, as you may remember, was the pastor of the Westboro Baptist Church.  Through many years he led his congregation in a calculated effort to demonize gay and lesbian men and women.  He and his congregants picketed various gatherings with signs that read "God Hates Fags" and other such things.  They also picketed military funerals with the same signs, claiming that the deaths of soldiers and other military personnel was God's way of punishing America for allowing homosexuality.

As anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis knows, our family includes gay and lesbian folks.  It would be very understandable if Jennifer had lashed out at Phelps--but here is what she wrote:  "Hate begets hate.  Mr. Phelps, May peace soothe the hearts of those who loved you  May love for all beings finally find and embrace your soul." 

Well said!  While it is tempting to express great hatred for Phelps, he did after all bring great pain to so many, my niece Jennifer's words remind this old uncle that I follow One who says, "Love your enemies."  I'll never approve of what Phelps did.  It was wrong--even evil.  But that doesn't allow me to hate him.  I can't.  Jesus won't let me.  Neither will my niece.

1 comment:

  1. Social media sites are really great for keeping in touch with family and friends. It's especially a great way to connect to people from around the world, who you rarely get to see face to face. I'm glad you joined the network to keep in touch with your family and friends, John. Anyway, I also heard about Fred's passing. He was a great pastor. May the eternal repose of his soul rest in peace.

    Sean Brown @ Linear Local

    ReplyDelete