Tuesday, March 31, 2020

There's More than One John Danner--Who Knew?

Part of my personal spiritual discipline is to read a poem a day.  Some of the poems have been overtly religious (like Ann Weems collection Kneeling in Jerusalem) while others are clearly spiritual, like the various poems I've read by Mary Oliver, but not particularly religious.

I know for some folks that distinction is hard to make.  For some it is even a false distinction.  But there is a difference, and it is true, like so many young people, someone can be spiritual but not particularly religious.  Concerned about the greater, transcendent things in life, while not being connected to any formal religious expression.  Sociologists even have an acronym for it SBNR.

During this corona virus pandemic I decided to take my daily poem practice on line, and every day, at 9;30am I am going on Facebook LIVE and reading a poem and offering a prayer specifically
geared to our current needs as a society.  I call it, not very creatively, but descriptively, "A Poem and a Prayer."

Folks have shared with me that it is helpful--and for that I am grateful.  But I must admit there is also a selfish motivation.  For as a pastor I want to be able to minister to folks, and now, due to social distancing, some of my ability to do that has been cut off.  No hospital visits.  No in person meetings.  No classes to teach with students gathered around a table.  Not even people in the pews when I peach.  We have found some creative ways around much of that, while still maintaining our physical separation--and I am learning to enjoy the digital/virtual world a bit more these days.  But "A Poem and a Prayer" feels different.  The poem centers it, but the prayer, as I close my eyes and offer up words of praise, thanksgiving and intercession, that feels intimate.  Who would have guessed?

I'd love to have you check out "A Poem and a Prayer"--send me a Facebook friend request, and I'll be happy to oblige.  Just search John H Danner (don't forget the "H"--it turns out there are several John Danners in the world!  Who knew!

No comments:

Post a Comment