Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Masks and Making Democracy Safe

My eighty-seven year old mother is headed out to her first medical appointment this afternoon since before the pandemic.  My sister will be taking her--but just to be sure, I called and reminded them both to wear masks.  I suppose I am a bit overprotective, but one can never be too sure, or, in this case, too safe.

I keep a mask in my office--and wear it whenever I step out my own door to talk with a colleague or to use office equipment.  WE have hand sanitizer dispensers strategically placed throughout the church office, and I wash my hands several times over the course of the workday.  I suppose I am a bit overprotective, but one can never be too sure, or in this case, too safe.

When I go to the grocery store, I not only mask, I also wear gloves, which I promptly dispose when I leave the store.  Then I sanitize my hands.  And when I get back home I wash my hands.  I suppose I am a bit overprotective, but one can never be too sure, or, in this case, too safe.

Sometime in the future--maybe even the relatively near future, we may be able to do away with some of these measures.  But for now, we need them to safeguard against the virus.  Do I like doing these things over and over again?  Do I like wearing a mask?  No, not particularly.  Am I a moral superhero for doing them?  No.  I am just doing my part--my,  relatively speaking, very small part.  And like so, so many things in life, that's what it takes, all of us being willing to do our part--no matter how small. In fact, that, ultimately is what democracy is all about, isn't it?  Everybody doing their part, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Making sure they fill-in census forms, for instance, or casting a ballot.  Writing letters to congress people, raising concerns when they surface.  Reporting for jury duty, and paying your taxes.

I suppose I am a bit overprotective--but I love my mother and sister.   I care a great deal about our staff.  I even care about strangers in the grocery store.  And I most certainly care about our democracy.  That's why I'll do my part. After all, you can't be too sure or too safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment