Monday, May 11, 2020

Who Was That Masked Man?

This morning I had to go to the doctor's office for some lab work ahead of my annual wellness visit. As I got ready to leave the house I made sure I had one of my face masks with me.  (I have been blessed with more than one of them by our very competent Parish Nurse, Linda Convertine.)  Whenever I go to the grocery store, or other public place, I make sure I have one with me, and that I wear it.

I was pleased when I arrived at the doctor's office to see signs and measured markers on the floor asking that all maintain appropriate social distance.  I was also glad to see readily available hand sanitizer, and that staff members had face masks.  The three other patients who were there when I arrived were wearing face masks and keeping their distance.  But then a gentleman arrived who did not have a mask, and I must say I tensed up a bit.  I didn't say anything to him.  I didn't publicly shame him, much less arm wrestle with him, but I was uncomfortable.  Very uncomfortable.  Which brings me to why I wear a face mask myself.

All that I have read indicates that wearing a face mask is really more about the other guy than it is about me.  While a cloth mask like the ones I wear will block a small percentage of the droplets that carry the virus from entering into my system, they will prevent a larger percentage of the same from being expelled into the air.  In both cases it is a relatively small amount, but it will reduce the risk a bit for my neighbor if not so much for me.  Further, it serves as a very visible reminder to practice social distancing and good hand washing.  It says I'm taking all this seriously.

Do I like wearing the mask?  No, I feel like a bank robber!  But I do care about my neighbors.  I do care about my community.  And wearing a mask is one way to tangibly demonstrate that care, for as a Christian that is what I am called to do.  Love my neighbor as I love myself.  And with that in mind, I make the assumption that just as much as I want the world to be as safe as possible (understanding that it is never perfectly safe) so too does my neighbor.


1 comment: